In a season when gluttony prevails, there is nothing like a light and citrusy dessert to cut through all the richness. This dessert is actually inspired by a similar one I had at L’Artusi a year ago and it was surprisingly delicious end to a large meal. And while the idea of an olive oil based dessert may seem strange, in reality it gives a delicate flavor perfectly suited to a citrus or herb pairing (think sage or basil).
|Orange Olive Oil Cake|
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1¼ cup of all purpose flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Butter a medium cake pan and preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix the sugar and eggs together until frothy. Pour in the olive oil and vanilla slowly and keep mixing until smooth.
- Add the zest and orange juice to the batter and combine.
- Sift together the dry ingredients then slowly mix them into the batter (don’t over mix).
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake until brown and a stick in the center of the cake comes out clean (about 30 minutes).
- Let the cake cool then dust with powdered sugar and any additional orange zest. Serve alone or with a drizzle of orange liqueur or even some warmed berry jam. Enjoy!