These are the easiest cookies I’ve ever made, and yet the most addictive – a dangerous combination. With a super simple ingredient list, the magic happens when you coat the dough balls in a lot of brown sugar so they caramelize underneath and get this amazing rich crunchy flavor.
|Brown sugar cookies|
Caramelized Brown Sugar Cookies (adapted from Serious Eats, and inspired by my brother!)
7 ounces of butter, melted
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
2. Mix the butter, 1.5 cups of sugar and salt in a bowl. Slowly add the egg and the vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix until smooth.
4. Fill a small bowl with the remaining brown sugar. Take golf ball sized scoops of the dough, and with your hands form them into a sphere.
5. Coat the dough balls with a generous amount of brown sugar, then place on a lined baking sheet.
6. Put the cookies in the oven and bake until the tops are cracked and the edges are caramel colored (about 10-12 minutes). For best results rotate the cookies half way through baking. Cool and enjoy!
Bonus picture of my brother and I excitedly waiting for the cookies to be ready.